Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure. More…
Owners of tenant occupied properties are required to install Carbon Monoxide Detectors in existing Single Family Homes beginning July 1st, 2011. Home Sellers are required to install upon sale.
The Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010 requires that existing single family homes have carbon monoxide detectors installed by July 1st. Other existing dwelling units must have carbon monoxide detectors installed by January 1, 2013. The Real Estate Transfer Disclsoure Statement contains disclosure language related to this requirement. There are no special carbon monoxide disclosure obligations beyond the TDS. Violation of the requirements is an infraction punishable by a maximum fine of $200 for each offense.