John Sutter of Applied Building Science is our featured guest today. We’ll discuss the best way to winterize your home, Energy Audits (updated 2011 information), the SCIEP (Sonoma County Energy Independence Program) plus the HERS rating system. Follow THIS LINK for a downloadable color booklet ON the HERS rating system. As they say, “You wouldn’t buy a new car without knowing its “miles per gallon” rating. So why buy a home without a “home energy rating?”
Thanks to attorney Jeremy Olsan for providing us with special updates on Senate Bill 458 plus Scam updates regarding pre-foreclosures, short-sales and Loan Modifications. Invaluable to any of our listeners facing a situation of a distressed property. He wanted me to post these Department of Real Estate articles for our listening audience. Remember- an informed consumer is the BEST foil against scammers and sharks!
1. FRAUD WARNING REGARDING LAWSUIT MARKETERS REQUESTING UPFRONT FEES FOR SO-CALLED “MASS JOINDER” OR CLASS LITIGATION PROMISING EXTRAORDINARY HOME MORTGAGE RELIEF—Here’s the link to the whole article:
2. Consumer Alert: What You Can Do to Protect Yourself from Getting Ripped Off in Real Estate and Home Loan Relief Scams—Here’s the link to the whole article: http://www.dre.ca.gov/pdf_docs/ca/ConsumerAlert_ProtectYourselfFromGettingRippedOff.pdf
3. New Federal Rule Outlaws Advance Fees and False Claims, and Requires Clear Disclosures, Regarding Mortgage Assistance Relief (including Loan Modification, Short Sale, and Deed-in-Lieu of Foreclosure) Services—Here’s the link to the whole article: http://www.dre.ca.gov/pdf_docs/ca/ConsumerAlert_NewFederalRule.pdf
4. Update to DRE Issued Consumer and Industry Alert(s) Regarding Short Sales Fraud, and Related Issues—Here’s the link to the whole article: http://www.dre.ca.gov/pdf_docs/ca/ConsumerAlert_ShortSalesUpdate.pdf
5. Preventing Real Estate Fraud: How to Protect Yourself and Your Home—Here’s a link to the rest of the story:
As the country braces itself for the “Silver Tsunami”, we need to arm our Seniors with good information and guide them through the on-slaught of “help” they are being offered. Tune in Sunday 9-10AM on The News and Talk of Sonoma County KSRO 1350Am.
This week’s show will focus primarily on Senior homeowners who wish to remain in thier homes and “age in place” gracefully….and safely. Our Guests Marilyn Barnes of Senior Helpers North Bay and Frank Samson of Senior Care Athourity are both strong supporters of the local senior community. They offer a wealth of information on aging in place with reliable in home care, home alterations that may be necessary, and ideas on other ways to make staying home a good, safe option.
Marilyn Barnes; Senior Helpers North Bay
Marilyn has worked in the homecare industry for 26 years, starting as a caregiver on nights and weekends and moving to management approximately 11 years ago. Marilyn is an active member in the Sonoma Co. Execs. and a member of the Section on Aging Chapters in Sonoma and Napa counties. Marilyn has been instrumental in starting many community education programs to assist in a better understanding of what services are available, what each service does and helping seniors and their families connect with such services.
Frank Samson; Senior Care Authority
Frank has had a passion for senior care since having to care for family members and personally experience the challenges that face families today. After several years of researching the health care industry, he began Senior Care Authority, which has already helped many families throughout Northern California.
Frank is a member of Section on Aging Chapters in Sonoma, Marin, Napa and Solano Counties. In addition, he is part of the Senior Roundtable in San Francisco. He was also instrumental in starting the North Bay Senior Alliance (NBSA), which assists the aging population with services from in-home care, senior placement, Medi-Cal planning, financial planning and legal services., His expertise in senior care has given him the opportunity to write regular columns on this subject in local newspapers. In addition, he hosts a weekly radio show called “The Aging Boomers” on 91.3 FM, KSVY, Sonoma.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure. More…